Thursday, September 1, 2016

Chikuhodo MK-1 & MK-2 Comparisons

Ever wonder if the gorgeous Chikuhodo Makie brushes really have the same measurements? If the MK-1 is actually way better looking in person than on photos online? Your questions shall be answered here!
(Edit: the MK-1 has been discontinued as of 2019. RIP.)


MK-2, MK-1


Let me preface this by saying that it's not due to the handmade variation for once that they are not identical. I have compared the MK-1 to two MK-2's and both MK-2's have the same head, while the MK-1 is different (second MK-2 is no longer with me).

They both retail around $155-157 at CDJapan and $178 at Beautylish.


I was first drawn to the MK-2 after falling into the fude rabbit hole due to the exquisite design of the cherry blossoms, which embody Japanese spring and culture itself. The MK-2 is a brush that people yearn for when they first get into fude because the head, made out of squirrel hair, and handle itself screams luxury. Although if you're a Classical Japanese nerd like me, cherry blossoms don't exactly exude cheerfulness, new life, and love. If this were a brush made in the Heian era of Japan, it would be a very sad brush. Yea, my brush is dirty :D.



When I got finally got my hands on the MK-2 and saw it in person, I was a little disappointed. The cherry blossoms are beautiful, but I actually prefer the peonies on the MK-1. Art is subjective!




When I got the MK-1, I was awestruck at the beauty of the handle. It looks so much better in person than from the photos online. I totally thought the floral design on the MK-1 were roses but they're peonies. Peonies are gorgeous!


Let's get down to the differences:

The MK-1 head is thicker, fluffier, and splays out a little more widely than the MK-2

MK-2, MK-1

MK-1, MK-2

As you can see in the photos above, the head of the MK-1 is larger overall in terms of density/thickness. The softness and performance are the same. I personally prefer the MK-1 not only due to the handle's design, but the thickness of the head. I love fluffy powder brushes, the fluffier the better!

I've compared them with two other brushes below:



MK-2, MK-1, Lumiere 2015 Powder, Z-1

The Lumiere 2015 powder brush is most similar to the MK-1 than the MK-2, although the Lumiere does taper out even more than the MK-1. I love the Lumiere brush. The Christmas set from last year was worth it just for this brush and the cheek brush. The Z-1 is a completely different shape from the rest, but I wanted to include it for fun. It's one of my favorite finishing brushes because it has a round head and is very dense. It can fit into a pressed powder compact at a perpendicular angle just fine, whereas with the other three brushes I'd have to put them side down at a lower angle to use the side of the face and not the top like with the Z-1.

MK-1, MK-2, Lumiere Powder

The MK-1 still has the thickest head amongst the three above. Love the Z-1, Lumiere, and MK-1. The MK-2 I will keep for collector's sake.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! I was really thinking about getting the MK2 for the design but I think I'll get the MK1 instead

    ReplyDelete